× News of upcoming medical trials and recent breakthroughs.

Anyone can read this forum, but you must be registered to post messages.
If you don't already have an account, you can join for free today.
Just click on 'Log in>Create an account' in the top right corner of this page to get started.

2 level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) surgery and exercise.

#176 by The Brain Charity
My name is Dr Teena Fernandez. I am a GP in North Wales currently undertaking research as part of my masters in Sports and Exercise Medicine at Nottingham University. During my masters my husband sustained a cervical spine injury resulting in a 2 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion and we found little advice or evidence on returning to sport following such surgery.

I subsequently undertook research which only identified one or two cases and mostly expert opinion on return to sport. I have now (with the help of neurosurgery colleagues) decided to find out how athletes return to sport following this surgery.

Have you had 2 level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion surgery?
Have you exercised more than 2 hours every day following surgery (currently or in the past)?

If you have answered yes to the above 2 questions we want to hear about your experiences. The two hours of exercise could be any form of physical exertion and of any level of intensity.
If you would like to get involved in the research please contact Dr Teena Fernandez (Doctor in General Practice) on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This research was approved by Nottingham University Ethics Committee.
As a thank you for participating we would remunerate you with a £10 Amazon e-gift voucher .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds