A diagnosis of some neurological conditions, such as Epilepsy, Stroke and Brain Tumour, requires you have to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA). A list of medical conditions can be found at DirectGov.

Wheelchair user and Motability carPlease note the law requires the individual to inform the DVLA of any condition which may affect their ability to drive safely. You will be sent a questionnaire to fill in and asked for your consent for the DVLA to contact your doctor. They will then decide whether you can continue to drive and how long before they will re-assess the situation.

If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance then there are several other benefits that you may be entitled to, which will help with driving:

You may be entitled to a free disabled tax disc

Access to the Motability Scheme, which provides a simple way to enjoy a new car, scooter, or powered wheelchair without the worry of owning or running one.

Access to a Blue Badge. The is for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems who have difficulties using public transport. It allows holders of a Blue Badge to park close to where they need to go and operates throughout the UK. It is administered by local councils, so check your local council website for instructions on how to obtain one in your area.

Other websites and sources of information that may be useful updated April 2018

  • AA Disabled Travellers' Guide [PDF file]
    Advice on travelling in Britain and abroad, by car and other forms of transport.
  • Age UK Mobility (formerly Age Concern and Help the Aged)
    Age UK Mobility works to ensure that transport is accessible and affordable to older people
  • Disabled Motoring UK - a charity for disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders (formerly the Disabled Drivers' Association)
  • Diverse Road Safety
    A not-for-profit Social Enterprise meeting the needs of vulnerable road users. Also provides driver training for people with a wide range of disabilities.
    This is available for everybody, but now free to residents of Liverpool [download the PDF file]
  • DVLA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    At-a-glance guide to the current medical standards for fitness to drive.
  • DVLA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    Telling DVLA about a medical condition or disability
  • Forum of Mobility Centres
    A network of independent organisations covering England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, who offer professional, high quality information, advice and assessment to individuals who have a medical condition or are recovering from an accident or injury which may affect their ability to drive or access a vehicle.
  • Gowrings
    One of the UK's leading manufacturers and suppliers of wheelchair passenger vehicles.
  • Queen Elizabeth's Foundation for Disabled People
    Offers practical advice, assessment and training for those wishing to drive or increase their mobility through assistive technology, personal mobility vehicles and adapted cars.

Links to information and advice about mobility aids, including walking aids, scooters and powered wheelchairs, and access ramps. Updated March 2015.


The Brain Charity lists these insurance companies for information, but does not recommmend any in particular. Updated January 2018.

^ top