The Brain Charity's library at our centre in Liverpool includes many books and other resouces for parents and carers, including the Contact charity's book The Helpful Guide for Families with Disabled Children. There are some books for children and young people too.
You can find more advice and support if you follow some of these links:
- Help if you have a disabled child (Gov.uk)
- Carer's Allowance (Gov.uk)
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children (Gov.uk)
- Find Children's & Adolescent Services (NHS)
- Support when your child does not have a diagnosis (Contact charity)
Information and guidance
- Benefits for families with disabled children (Working Families website)
- Benefits & financial help (Contact charity)
- DLA Guide (Cerebra)
- SEND: guide for parents and carers (Gov.uk)
- Carers of children under 18 (CarersUK)
Advice for parent carers of disabled children and non-parent carers of disabled children, and on the transition to adulthood.
- Univeral Credit child amount (Disability Rights UK)
- Univeral Credit - claiming for a young disabled person (Contact charity)
- Child Law Advice charity
Provides legal advice and information on family, child and education law affecting children and families in England. This service is provided via this website packed with how to guides and information pages.
Information for parents of children with neurological conditions
Freephone 0800 3281159
- Child Brain Injury Trust
Supporting familes and professionals working with children and young people with acquired brain injury
Advice and Information, phone: 0303 303 2248
• Find your local Child and Family Support Service: https://childbraininjurytrust.org.uk/brain-injury-service
- Contact (formerly Contact A Family, CAF)
Support and guidance for families with disabled children.
Free helpline 0808 808 3555
• Find local support: https://contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/local-support
- Action for Children
Supporting families by providing expert advice, support and parenting programmes.
- Caudwell Children
Provide practical and emotional support to families with disabled children throughout the UK
- Face2Face Educational Trust
Educational projects, holidays & events with children, young people, families & adults
- Family Fund
Charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people
Charity for people with learning disabilities and their families
Free learning disability helpline: 0808 808 1111
• Find a local support group: www.mencap.org.uk/search/groups
- National Network of Parent Carers Forums
Network of over 150 forums across England
• Find your local forum: www.nnpcf.org.uk/about-the-nnpcf/find-your-local-forum
- SWAN UK
Syndromes Without A Name is a support network for families of children and young adults with undiagnosed genetic conditions.