Free 12-week dance workshops for people with dementia
For people living with dementia, keeping active can be increasingly difficult as the condition progresses. If you, or someone you know, experiences dementia, you’ll know that the possibility of a fall can cause real concern.
The Brain Charity in Liverpool, together with a specialist team of physiotherapists and dancers, have developed a set of integrated exercises which are beneficial for mobility and which aim to retain independence for as long as possible. Our physiotherapy through dance workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool focus on maintaining participants’ balance and flexibility, to minimise the risk of trips and falls in the future.
At The Brain Charity, we know that not only is it important to remain engaged in social activities – the advantages of staying as active as possible are profound. And now, new research into the benefits of music on health and wellbeing show that participating in music-based therapy activities has positive effects on mood, decreases anxiety, but moreover – stimulates different areas of the brain.
As dementia progresses, conversation can become increasingly challenging. When we listen to music, or song, this lights up different areas of our brain than we use by talking. In our dance workshops for people affected by dementia we encourage carer-participant engagement through movement and dance - bringing joy back into communication.
What to expect
- You will be warmly welcomed into a group of people who are experiencing dementia and memory problems.
- We’ll be dancing together for about one hour.
- All bodies are welcome! Dancing is as gentle or as enthusiastic as the participants like.
- No prior experience necessary!
- Dance workshops are co-run by professional dance instructors and a qualified physiotherapist.
- Refreshments provided at the end of the session.
- Carers are welcome and encouraged to join in.
- The program will run for 12 weeks to maximize the benefit of the therapy.
How to book a place
If you know someone who you think would benefit from our dance workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool, please simply get in touch and we will try to place you on the next available workshop session.
Thank you to Quilter Cheviot Investment Management for making our Physiotherapy through dance workshops for people with dementia in Liverpool possible.